Plumbing is something that should only be left to the experts. For your safety and also for the safety of your family and any other occupants, it is advisable that you do not try to perform any electrical work that is beyond the skill you have. You should also not try to do any repairs or installations that you do not have the right skills or knowledge about. If you need to have any installations, repairs or fixing, it is advisable that you call plumbing services in Downey to come and do the plumbing work for you.
When do you need a plumbing permit?
You may need to have a plumbing permit for the following:
- When you are carrying out alteration, emergency repair or in the replacement or repair of pipes that have frozen or are leaking. You may also need to get a permit if the piping that you want to install or fix goes beyond 5 feet.
- When you are replacing underground pipes, water heaters, new installations, altering of pipes that are either beneath a floor or inside a ceiling or a wall.
- When you want to remodel or to add a building or any plumbing features. This may include water services, installation of sewing and water pipes and also handling of exterior rain drains.
When you do not have to get a plumbing
It is not all circumstances that you may be required to have a plumbing permit. Some of these times include:
- When a licensed plumber or a property owner performs different emergency repairs when they are fixing or repair frozen or leaking pipes, replacement of these pipes or when they have to install new pipes that do not go beyond 5 feet.
- When the owner of a property is only carrying out minor repairs to plumbing systems that are on his or her property. This may also mean that there may have to be the maintenance of the existing pipes, appliances or fixtures as well as the repair and replacement of drain and water attachments. It is, however, important for you to keep in mind that you may not be required to alter any already plumbing system if you do not have a permit.
In case you are not sure whether or not you may need to have a permit, you can go ahead and talk to the responsible building department in your area so that they can be able to advise you accordingly.
How to get a permit
Plumbing permits are normally issued in the name of the plumber who is going to be performing the plumbing work. Only those contractors or plumbers who are licensed are the ones who may be able to get a permit.